Friday, January 29, 2010

I plead the 1st.

When I decided I wanted to be a journalist, way back in 9th or 10th grade, I knew I wasn't going to be a millionaire. I didn't care; I said I wanted to be happy, and that was enough. I just figured I'd marry rich (just kidding! but seriously...).

Still, it's becoming more and more disconcerting to hear journalists talk about the industry. At the Times last quarter, when I introduced myself as the intern to one of the seasoned reporters, he said, "Oh, so you're here to witness the end?"

Then there's Overheard in the Newsroom, this fmylife-esque site devoted entirely to the news industry:

Editor, talking to visiting Cub Scouts: “Have you ever thought about starting your own newspaper?”

Reporter, under her breath: “Have you ever thought of starting a blacksmith’s shop? Some people might say that industry is in decline, but there will always be people with horses.”

2 comments:

nancy said...

yes.

ella ordona said...

i get the morning paper and read it with my coffee. on my front porch, nonetheless.

i would much rather flip through the paper than scroll through twitter feeds any day.