Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I can't find the Spanish word for procrastinate

and that leads me to ask myself, Why am I wasting time on a language that doesn't even accomodate my study schedule (or lack thereof)? Point for English.

A ver. Let's recap my Spain experience so far.

September: Go to the beach every day after school, play volleyball in the waves, get tan, go shopping, eat ice cream, walk along the water at sunset, do the single page of homework in the 10 minutes before class on the morning it's due. Vale.

October: Sit outside at cafes or on the steps of La Catedral after school and drink tea, continue to watch YouTube videos in my Lengua 2 class, walk along the beach after dinner, do the single page of homework in the 10 minutes before class on the morning it's due. Sweet.

November 1-19ish: Go home and take a siesta after class, talk with people on Skype before dinner, try to read Soldados de Salamina after dinner and instead choose to read good books, dress up cute and go out every night of the week to flirt with the cute bartenders at Bhopal and Nahu. Wake up 10 minutes before class and neglect to do the single page of homework because we never go over it in class anyway. Pretty dece.

November now: Trip to Granada this past weekend, taking up Friday-Sunday of potential study time. Lit 2 exam yesterday, covering 9 poems, an incredibly boring novel, and 3 movies. 15-minute presentation and paper due in Lit 2 next Tuesday, explaining why the poetry of Carlos Marzal should or shouldn't be read. 30-minute - NO JOKE, 30 MINUTES - presentation in Lengua 1 next Wednesday about the Internet. Art History paper on La Catedral due next Thursday. And oh yes, let's not forget; trip to London this Thursday-Sunday, which I planned before knowing that these hijos-de-puta profesores were going to dump 3 months of homework on the next two weeks.

It is not extremely comforting to remember that after next week, I'll be back to the whole go-home-and-siesta-every-afternoon-before-saliendoing-every-night pattern. I have to survive this week. 30-minute presentation??!? That's a SERMON! Srsly, Victor. Por que nos odias!?!

And it's cold. All the time. My house - like most of the houses here - doesn't have indoor heating. I am cold all day long, even when I get under the covers with all my coats and sweatpants and socks. My toes are frozen. And I'm going to complain about it because I can, so, nyeh.

And I have less than a month left, and I'm going to miss it. It's beautiful here. Finally getting chilly outside, but in the sun it's perfect. And I'm going to miss going out at night and getting to talk to people from all over Europe. And I'm going to miss hanging out with my Spanish guy and seeing my Spanish improve daily. I'm excited to come home, but I don't want to leave just yet.

Oh - add to the stress. Trying to figure out the lease agreement for an apartment that is halfway across the world and in a time zone 9 hours behind me = MUY DIFICIL. No me gusta, y estoy muy estresada todo el dia. Pobrecita Katie; ella ha tenido que hacer todo.

So, yes. En conclusión, this week is going to be fun, fun, fun. I'm SO EXCITED.

Love always,
molly

2 comments:

ella ordona said...

mmm love the month to month recap. so good. i love stalking you and getting news on your fabulous life.

i am also procastinating on art projects, essays and a group presentation. more specifically, to write you a thorough email - my last ones were complete and total crapppppp.

i miss you and jan 9 is so on.

KL said...

DID YOU GET IT ALL DONE???