Sunday, August 23, 2009

PT for me

Remember Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls?

Port Townsend's bigger than that, and there's no Taylor to ruin it, but it's got that same delightful small-town feel. The first week I was here, I put a bio of myself in the paper, and that evening when I walked in a coffee shop, the girls were like, "You're the new intern! Your picture was in the paper!" Yep, small.

I have been so blessed in my time here. Everyone I interview for a story is interesting, friendly, and welcoming, as are all the people in the shops. And they're willing to make connections for me.

Take this morning. I went horseback riding for almost 3 hours through the forest by Anderson Lake because the man I hiked with and interviewed last week about trail maintenance has friends in the Back Country Horsemen and gave me one of their numbers; when I called them up, they offered to take me as soon as our schedules allowed. And they're so cool! Conversation on the trail this morning was never dull or forced. And my horse was beautiful.

After that, I went on board the Lotus, a hundred-year-old yacht owned by a truly wonderful hippie lady here in town. 5 minutes after we met, she invited me to spend the night because she and the friends who were volunteering their time to restore the boat were having a girls' night, with good food and piña coladas provided. I couldn't do it tonight, but she's offered me an open invitation. Sleep in a bunk in one of the freshly-painted staterooms and wake up to reflected sunlight dancing on the ceiling.

How on earth did I end up here?

I may never leave.

Love always,
molly

3 comments:

nancy said...

i can feel your exhalation of that fresh air in the post--wonderful.

KL said...

the really awesome thing about reading your posts and talking with you, Molly, is that though you had apprehensions about leaving, about going into the unknown with little to no "home-comforts", both with Spain and Port Townsend you have written back--thriving. It really says something about putting your trust in something bigger and being willing to relinquish control. At least that's what this outside perspective sees.
I'm so happy for you and your experiences!
KL

Eflat said...

YAY!