Saturday, November 21, 2009

when the sun's shining down on me

I've really got to say it. It sounds horribly egotistical and self-centered and obnoxious, but what the hell--

I'm totally pwning at life right now.

Seriously. I love my job. How many people can really say that? I was excited to go BACK to work today, after leaving for an hour in the afternoon. I want to go to work tomorrow, even though it's Saturday and I don't know what I would do with myself. I have this awesome editor who seems to have realized that I'm a fairly competent writer, so he keeps throwing stuff my way. [This is how it goes down: I'll be sitting at my desk, bored and waiting for China to e-mail me back, and Matt will lean back in his chair and POINT. "You. Wanna do this?" Yesterday it was "You wanna go downtown and try to find the guy who fell eight stories?" Um...YES. Thanks.]

But really - it's so exciting. And it's really encouraging to receive daily confirmation that this is the job I'm supposed to have. I am not destined for an Office Space existence.

Beyond that, classes are going great -- easy and pointless, but great -- and my design chief at the Daily trusts me and likes what I'm doing, and we're ramping up stuff for the DR trip this spring, and...I'm just happy.

Katie says it's like I'm making up for the crappy year I had last year. True dat, yo. And thank God.

Random side-note: Tonight, Roman and Katie were playing Scrabble. Roman was trying to get "slug" down. I'm so inundated with newspaper that when I hear "slug," I don't think of the slimy little creature; rather, I think of the one-word title you use to denote a story. Awesome.

What else is good...I'm going home next week! Mmmm turkey. And mashed potatoes and Disney movies with KaraLynn. And a haircut. And a queen-size bed. And no rain. NO RAIN. I'm so excited.

This is rambly. But that's okay; it's like 3 in the morning.

I texted my mom today (she knows how to text now, but still signs every message "Mom." Sigh.), telling her "BUY A PAPER!" She responded, "I bought 5!!! Mom."

Oh yeah - she bought 5 because my name was on the front page. Above the fold. PWNING.

It's a good feeling.

Love always,
molly

2 comments:

KL said...

Molly, oh Molly....
THAT'S SO COOL!
You pwn life, make it yours. ;)
I love your mom, and you and can not wait for disney, mashed-potato party!

As an aside, looking out my window right now, it is hella windy and there may or may not be raindrops plummeting from the sky...but I will guarantee you it's nothing like Seattle rain.
but still, wind--UGH.

nancy said...

I went on line to read your article. I saw your mom today at church, and she was giddy. It's often a cliche to say, "What a blessing." But it is.
This life.