Wednesday, July 22, 2009

branching out

After work today, I rode my bike all the way to Fort Worden and back (it's where they shot some of An Officer and a Gentleman). I don't think it's actually very far, but it was quite an accomplishment for me. Lots of hills. I'm feeling good; sore, but victorious in spirit.

Came back, locked up the ol' Schwinn, and walked down the street to The Boiler Room, a coffee shop/youth hangout. Before my bike ride, they'd given me a cup of ice, taking a quarter out of the tip jar to pay for it; when I came in the second time, I brought back the owed coin. And then started talking to them. One of the women is the daughter of the former city editor of the Chicago Sun-Times, back before it was tabloid-y. He had her buy 4 newspapers every day so he could keep up with his local competition.

The other girl in there happened to be the volunteer coordinator. The place is mostly run by volunteers, passionate about serving out its mission to provide a positive location for the youth of the community.

So I talked to her. Filled out the hot-pink volunteer application that asked me, along with basic contact and experience information, what my issues are in the world. "Wassup with me," as it was phrased.

I have my first training shift on Saturday. Free barista experience, and new friends.

I'm stoked.

Love always,
molly

p.s. On the bike ride home, my exhaustion was lifted for a moment when I saw these two heading home for the night:



I love it here.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

GAH.
I am so excited for you. You influence those kids. No drugs, no thugs.